Converting to RootsMagic 4.0 and later
1. Create a new RootsMagic File
2. Click radio button "Import information from another program"
3. Import File click radio button "Family Tree Maker (2006 and earlier)
4. Select either "Search for File" or "I know where file is"
5. Once the file is located it will directly import your FTM file.
Converting to RootsMagic 3.2 and later
1. Do "File > Search for files" from the RootsMagic menu.
2. Then change from "RootsMagic files" to "Family Tree Maker files" and click "Begin searching". RootsMagic will list all Family Tree Maker databases on your hard drive.
3. Highlight the one you want and click "Open".
4. RootsMagic will then ask you to enter a name for the RootsMagic database you are creating and will import the Family Tree Maker data into it.
Converting to RootsMagic 3.0.4 and before - Follow these instructions:
To export your data from Family Tree Maker:
1. Open your Family Tree Maker program
2. Do “File, Copy/Export” from the main menu.
3. Change "Save as type" to GEDCOM
4. You will be asked for the name of the GEDCOM file you want to create. Also pay attention to where you are saving the GEDCOM file, so that you can find it to import into RootsMagic. MyDocuments is a good place to export the file to. Click Save (or OK).
5. A dialog will appear for you to select the export options. Choose the defaults and click “OK”.
6. Repeat steps 2 – 5 for each database if you have more than one.
To import your data into RootsMagic:
1. After installing RootsMagic, open your RootsMagic program
2. Create a new database by selecting “File, New” from the main menu. Enter the name you want to call your database, then click “Save” (or “OK”). An option dialog will appear. Choose the options you want and then click “OK”.
3. Import the GEDCOM file you created above into the new blank database. Do “File, Import GEDCOM” from the main menu.
4. Select the GEDCOM file you created above, then click the “Open” (or “OK”) button.
5. An import option dialog will appear. Choose the settings you want, although you will probably just want to use the default settings. Click the “Begin import” button to import the GEDCOM file.
Jillaine SMITH has written a very comprehensive guide to converting from FTM (thanks Jillaine)